Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything. - St Gregory of Nyssa

Sunday, May 29, 2011

To be excellent

During the times that I castigate myself for not being 'successful' or 'doing enough' or 'living a good life', I need to read and re-read this essay from Fr Stephen's inimitable pen.

Here is an excerpt:


I rejoice that I am alive in such a time as this. We stand at the edge of an abyss. We can embrace each other in joy and forgiveness or fall into the abyss itself (I trust Christ’s promise to keep us from such a misstep – though He has pulled us out of such places more than once). I rejoice because I don’t want anything other than to be conformed to the image of the crucified Christ. Let everybody else be excellent if they need to be. I need to die.

Father's essays are a 'must-read'.

No comments: