Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything. - St Gregory of Nyssa

Monday, June 13, 2011

Old Books

I love books. I always have and always will.

I love the content, surely, but I am much more persnickety these days. I cannot tolerate spending time and money on something not worth that time and money.

But...holding the thing. Especially Old Books. The texture and color of the cover and spine. The feel of the paper. The color of the paper. Old Books.

I love Old Books. I enjoy seeing what previous owners wrote on them. I like the idea that the book has a history with another human being, who, for the older books, are no longer with us.

How did that person receive the book: a gift? a purchase?
Why was this possession let go? Purging? moving? loss? death?

I love used bookstores. Walk into a good one, and the feeling in the very air is different. There's a certain weight in the atmosphere, and emanations from the books themselves.

Then there's the smell. Bliss.

And now we know why that smell is blissful: lignan.
Lignin, the stuff that prevents all trees from adopting the weeping habit, is a polymer made up of units that are closely related to vanillin.
via the Green Apple Core.

No comments: