Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything. - St Gregory of Nyssa

Monday, August 19, 2013

Salvific Pain

From Father Stephen:

After a number of decades as a Christian pastor, I am convinced that most of what God does in our lives and in our world remains hidden. I have many thoughts as to why this is so – but that it is so, I have no doubt. There are things in my life, which at the time they took place, seemed confusing and contradictory – but after careful, slow, reflection, seem to have been the hand of God. There are things that I have suffered through the years, that I now see as beneficial and even salvific, that I would never have considered to be so at the time. As a pastor, I am always hesitant (with others people’s lives) to offer that insight. In the middle of pain, such “insights” can be very difficult to receive.

 As an ordinary laywoman, I completely agree with this priest. I have been through emotional pain,. so severe, I wanted to die. I have been taken through paths I did not choose, and did not know why.

Yes, after calm and slow reflection (and prayer), I can accept those things and see the salvific in them.. Now I see where those events were leading. And it is very difficult to rememberthis when in the midst of pain and sorrow.

"Yea, even though He slay me, yet I will trust Him."

Glory to God for All Things

No comments: