Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything. - St Gregory of Nyssa

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Great Tenors: Pavarotti

UPDATED:
I love the tenor voice. [sigh] Nothing like it. And of course, I have my favorites.

This will be an on-going, occasional series (meaning, I'll post the next one when I get to it.)

I have my favorites, but I must begin the series with the one and only Pavarotti.
Just saying his name connotes brilliance: voice, talent, love of life, embracing it all.


He knew how to work an audience!

The official website is incredibly lovely and professional, and clearly an act of love and admiration. It is hard to believe Maestro Luciano has been gone over three years. We shall not see -- nor hear -- his like again.

I remember as a music student first hearing his voice. Once heard, it cannot be mistaken for any other. Clear, golden, warm, and masculine. When he sang, the listener could sit back and relax, knowing that there was nothing he could not do in his chosen repertoire. That is precisely what some critics nailed him for: he stuck to his repertoire, and did not venture far from it. To me, that shows his understanding of his voice and of the music business. He knew what would 'sell,' and he knew if he failed in a role he couldn't handle on stage, his career would not be what he was aiming for. Brilliant.

Late in his career he ventured into pop music (who can forget the album with John Denver...). I didn't care much for that music. Enough said.

The album that still brings a smile to my face is his  Turandot with Joan Sutherland (another great singer I miss.) "L'egnimi sono tre, una lat vita!" My Word! King of the High C's, indeed!
I do wish I had heard that voice "live." In anything.

Rest in peace, Maestro.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have favorite tenor voices, too. Yours is one of them!

David M. (from, you know, "out East")

Flyover Pilgrim said...

Thanks, that made me laugh!
Be careful, I might break out into "O Sole Mio!"